The Leftovers – a Finished Quilt!

 

This was a simple, fast finish…so do you want to know how long it was hanging out in my sewing room, partially finished? No, no you don’t.

It started out as a quilt-as-you-go project. That didn’t go well – by four strips in, it was unwieldy, the stitches were uneven, and the whole thing was getting a bit slanted. So I ripped the strips off the backing and started over.

I bought 1.75 yards of the backing fabric and cut off 6″ for a middle stripe on the front. {And another chunk that I thought I was going to use in the front, but didn’t. So now I have a new leftover piece to start another one!}

Everything else – leftovers. Backings, mostly. Specifically, Road to OK/WA {purple}, Vera Bradley {teal}, and Flirt {white with dots}. Because I use a longarm, I have about 4″ leftovers on each side, and another chunk from the bottom. So I just sewed together 44″ strips until I had a long enough chunk for 1.5 yards of backing!

The quilting – an X with 1″ echoes – is also leftovers – emptying out bobbins of various colors. Purples, teals, pinks – they all got their chance.

And all of the batting is leftover strips, too!

I used more teal for the binding – cut to 2.75″ as it’s flannel. Now there’s only a few bits left of that one! And because rules are silly, I machine bound it with a bright pink bobbin thread.

This didn’t even make a dent in my flannel scrap bins. But I didn’t mind the process {other than basting – ugh, that’s why I switched to longarm!} so I’ll match some more backing strips together soon!

I planned on this going to Happy Chemo or Camp Hobe as part of the Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge, but it may be a bit too small. {44×56″} If so, it’ll be donated locally to Project Linus.

See also: Finish It Up Friday, Whoop WhoopTGIFF, Needle & Thread ThursdayMonday Making, Main Crush MondayScraptastic Tuesday, Oh Scrap!, Show Off SaturdayOne Monthly GoalFinish Along {list}

4 thoughts on “The Leftovers – a Finished Quilt!”

Jasmine

Sweet and simple. I love it!

Lisa C in Dallas

I just did basically the same thing with leftover binding strips (ironed flat) sewed together in a modified jelly roll quilt manner. Used up lots of odds and ends, used leftover chucks for the backing (to the point that my husband thought the backing was the front!), and cobbled together enough batting for the middle. A total win in my book! Great job on yours.

Ruth

Looks so soft and warm. I’ve never used flannel but really want to now. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Barbara

Impressive frugality with all those odds and ends. Your quilt turned out great!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *