I Know What Boys Like

It’s strep throat season! My son is a carrier, which means he always tests positive, but he’s also very susceptible, which means he can get very sick while we’re trying to decide if it’s really strep. Which means Mommy spent a good part of the last two weeks pushing fluids and rest instead of sewing.
So, I finished these in mid-November, but we were down and out since then.
These are twin quilts for my cousins’ twin boys born in August. I used a large variety of fabrics, some purchased for this quilt, but mostly leftovers from other projects.
There’s monkeys from Monkey See, Monkey Quilt; several scraps from the Winnie the Pooh quilt my sister made my niece; blues from a table runner I made as a wedding gift; frogs from a baby hat my mother made the Dude; red bandanna from a skirt I made for myself…
The backs and borders are both Popcorn Bear by Quilting Treasures, from a line that was discontinued a year ago but I managed to hunt down. Thank goodness for the Internet!
One was quilted in echoes off the zig-zags.
The other in chevrons.
They both measure 38×44.
Finished November 2010.

Circling Airplanes

 One of my first quilts – airplanes made of Air Force fabric, circling in a dusky blue sky.
The back was a flannel with a denim print.
Close up of the airplane block
 
Size: 36×36″
Finished March 2009

T-Rex Costume – McCalls 2335

This year, the Dude wanted to be a T-Rex for Halloween, so we picked the McCalls dragon pattern during a 99-cent sale and made some modifications.
The Dude went overboard in picking his own fabrics. Pretty sure any T-Rex that looked like this would not have actually caught any food. 
Changes we made to the pattern:
*Merged the 4-fingers gloves into 2-fingers. Because everyone knows T-Rexs have only two claws.
*Did not make the gloves all puffy as indicated. He wasn’t going to wear them long anyway.
*Used batting instead of fiberfill in the belly and spikes. They stood up nicely.
*Put the zipper on the back instead of the front. I machine-basted the spikes to the bodysuit, and followed that seam when putting the zipper on.
*Made the back of the belly muslin and hand-basted it onto the front, since we weren’t confined to velcro due to the zipper.
*Very importantly – the instructions said to stuff the tail before sewing it to the body suit. Yeah, no. I left a hole in the back of the tail so I wasn’t fighting a stuffed tail on the sewing machine. It was bad enough using poly-satin.

I think it turned out well, and he loved the tail.

Happy Halloween!


I used to be Kinda Crafty, but I decided to go with a more professional look now that I’m going to start (*gulp*) selling at craft shows. The first one is in two weeks, so it was time to take the plunge and get this running. 
The next few weeks are going to be repeats of finished/in progress quilts and projects, plus some new things. (Like the Moose on the Porch quilt-along. And a Charlie Brown Halloween table runner. And a twist on the pillowcase dress, if it works.)
So, welcome to the new Katie Mae Quilts. You can follow me here in Blogger, on Twitter as “katiemaequilts” and on Flikr as “bryan_kate”. And I hope you do!